The Middleport Pottery factory tour is unique. It offers the chance to see pottery being made using the same handcraft methods as in the 1880s. The tour will lead you through each stage of production in sequence, showing how a lump of clay is transformed into a finished piece of pottery. You will also see the steam engine which once powered the whole factory.
• PLEASE NOTE – The tour is of a working factory, which can be quite noisy in places and there are some trip hazards.
- Each tour lasts for around one hour. Tours MUST be booked in advance.
- Tours of the factory run from Monday – Thursday at 11am and 2pm, and on Fridays at 10.30am only. Please arrive 10 minutes before your tour starts to avoid disappointment.
- We regret that children under 8 are not permitted on factory tours.
- There are no tours at weekends or on bank holidays as the factory is closed during this time.
• GROUP SIZE – Usually our tours are limited to 10 per group, however if you have a larger group please talk to use to arrange your visit – 01782 499766.
• MOBILITY & ACCESS –There are four sizeable staircases and several smaller steps, some of which are narrow and steep. There is no seating on the way around. Access to some areas of the factory tours for those with mobility needs is possible with alternative tours available. Please contact us in advance to discuss .
For further information click here to read our Access Statement
8-16 yrs; Students (with a student card); senior citizens (over 65); local residents
Not permitted on tours